|Image Credit: Photo by AJC ajcann.wordpress.com|
Midwestern University - Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine
|This post was peer reviewed.|
Click to learn more.
The 2015 allopathic match had 1,821 emergency medicine residency positions available in 171 programs. Only four of these programs went unfilled. To fill these spots there were 2,352 applicants, 1,613 of whom were allopathic U.S.
seniors. 1,438 allopathic U.S. seniors matched into emergency medicine filling 79% of available positions. In total, 1,813 of 1,821 positions were filled for a 99.6% fill rate with only eight positions unfilled.
There were also several combined allopathic emergency medicine programs in the 2015 match. Two combined emergency medicine - family medicine programs offered a total of 4 spots. To fill these spots there were 34 applicants, 16 of whom were allopathic US seniors. One allopathic US senior matched into EM-FM filling 25% of available positions. In total, all 4 positions were filled for a 100% fill rate. Twelve combined emergency medicine - internal medicine programs offered a total of 28 spots. To fill these spots there were 84 applicants, 56 of whom were allopathic US seniors. 23 allopathic US seniors matched into EM-IM filling 82.1% of available positions. In total, 27 of 28 positions were filled for a 96.4% fill rate.
The number of allopathic EM positions offered in the matching program has steadily grown from 1,607 in 2011 to 1,821 in 2015. EM-IM program positions have grown from 26 to 28 over this time period, while the number of EM-FM positions offered in the matching program has remained the same at four.
In the osteopathic match, a few new emergency programs opened up bringing the number of emergency medicine residencies participating in the match to 58, offering a total of 297 positions. Of the 297 positions available, 289 filled for a 97.3% fill rate. This reflects an 8% growth of matched positions from last year.[2,5] Two osteopathic EM-FM programs offered a total of 7 positions. 6 filled for an 86% fill rate. Five osteopathic EM-IM programs offered a total of 11 positions. Nine filled for an 82% fill rate.
For more data and specific information, be sure to explore the references noted below. Good luck to the 2016 applicants!
- National Resident Matching Program. Press Release: 2015 Residency Match Largest on Record with More Than 41,000 Applicants Vying for Over 30,000 Residency Positions in 4,756 Programs. http://www.nrmp.org/press-release-2015-residency-match-largest-on-record-with-more-than-41000-applicants-vying-for-over-30000-residency-positions-in-4756-programs/. Accessed May 3, 2015.
- American Osteopathic Association. Graduating Osteopathic Physicians Get Results of DO Match Day. http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/news-and-publications/media-center/2015-news-releases/Pages/2-9-graduating-osteopathic-physicians-get-results-of-do-match-day.aspx . Accessed May 3, 2015.
- National Resident Matching Program. Advance Data Tables: 2015 Main Residency Match. http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/ADT2015_final.pdf . Accessed April 8, 2015.
- National Matching Services. Summary of Positions Offered and Filled by Program Type: Results of the 2015 Match. https://www.natmatch.com/aoairp/stats/2015prgstats.html . Accessed April 8, 2015.
- National Matching Services. Summary of Positions Offered and Filled by Program Type: Results of the 2014 Match. https://www.natmatch.com/aoairp/stats/2014prgstats.html . Accessed May 3, 2015.
- American Osteopathic Association. 2015 AOA Match Results. http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/Education/students/match-program/Pages/match-results.aspx . Accessed April 8, 2015.