Thursday, May 18, 2017

Case Report: Hypopharyngeal Burns Secondary to Hot Potato Ingestion


Image Credit: Pixabay
This post was peer reviewed.
Click to learn more.
Author: Alexandria Gregory, MS-2
Saint Louis University School of Medicine AAEM/RSA Social Media Committee

Eric Goedecke, DO
Milford Regional Medical Center

Overview

A 59-year-old male presented to the emergency department (ED) with a food bolus sensation several hours after eating hot potatoes for breakfast. Since then, he had been able to tolerate coffee, scrambled eggs and handle his secretions without difficulty. He was feeling well otherwise and denied any recent illness.

On exam, the patient was well-appearing and in no respiratory distress. There was no wheezing or stridor. Oropharyngeal exam showed no edema, lesions, burns, or visible foreign body. The remainder of the physical exam was unremarkable.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Button Batteries

Image Credit: Flickr
Author: Phillip Fry, MSIV
Midwestern University - Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine
Originally Published: Modern Resident February/March 2017

Patients presenting to the emergency department after ingesting a button or cylindrical battery typically warrant prompt foreign body removal. The majority of battery ingestion cases involves button batteries and occurs in children younger than six years of age.[1] However, there is also a growing number of ingestions in the elderly with hearing aid batteries being mistaken for pills.