Chapter Summary By: Andrew W Phillips, MD, MEd, Stanford/Kaiser Emergency Medicine Residency Program
Summary Series Editors: Muhammad Alghanem, BS, and Andrew W Phillips, MD MEd
There are several organizations available to emergency medicine students, residents and attendings. Since benefits change often, and we cannot be complete here with so many benefits, we offer links to the organizations with a few focus points on our sponsoring bodies, the AAEM and AAEM/RSA.
1) American Academy of Emergency Medicine (AAEM)
c. Democratic society for board certified emergency medicine physicians that provides legal support to emergency physicians (members and non-members) who are victims of unfair work situations and contracts.
d. Offers a superb, free medical conference to all members annually.
e. Sponsors the Journal of Emergency Medicine (http://www.jem-journal.com).
2) American Academy of Emergency Medicine Resident and Student Association (AAEM/RSA)
c. Democratic, independent resident and student group that enjoys a very close relationship with AAEM including the AAEM/RSA president sitting as a member on the AAEM board and an AAEM board special representative to AAEM/RSA.
d. Offers steep discounts for education materials including a stellar written board exam review book in addition to many of the AAEM benefits.
3) American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP)
4) American College of Osteopathic Emergency Physicians (ACOEP)
5) Emergency Medicine Residents’ Association
6) National Association of Emergency Medicine Services Physicians (NAEMSP)
7) Society for Academic Emergency Medicine (SAEM)